· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
170 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - Game recommendations
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> Game recommendations Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Game recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

Since 90% of games are bad, I think it's a good idea to separate the good from the bad and the great from the extremely shitty. So name what (good) games you would recommend to others here. Also add some detail about the game(s) if you want.

Let me start: I recommend you fagots to play The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (FPS) and a new very good one which is World of Goo. I guarantee you fagots that you'll like them if you never played them before.
View users profile Send private message
Re: Game recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

mihai_alexandru73 wrote:
Since 90% of games are bad, I think it's a good idea to separate the good from the bad and the great from the extremely shitty. So name what (good) games you would recommend to others here. Also add some detail about the game(s) if you want.

Let me start: I recommend you fagots to play The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (FPS) and a new very good one which is World of Goo. I guarantee you fagots that you'll like them if you've never played them before.

Edit: If the admins still exist on this forum they can delete this post because I screwed up.

Last edited by mihai_alexandru73 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Caesar IV
Moon Project (I know mihai, I'll send it to u eventually)
Burnout Revenge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

Is Burnout for PC?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

PS2...sory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I usually only play FPSers and the occasional racing game...but from 2004 onwards.....

Far Cry
RiddickEFBB
Doom3
HL2
HL2ep2[ep1 sux}
FEAR
FearXP{okay}
Quake4
GRAW
GRAW2{based on the demo}
Crysis
STALKER_SOC
Crysis_Warhead{okay}
Bioshock
GOW
Mass Effect{weak on FPsing}
GRID

If you haven't already, get yourself a 24-27in LCD, it will make a hell of a difference...I have a 26in and went from a 19in CRT.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

26 inch? My monitor is 19 inches. As for the games, IMHO:

Far Cry - [color=yellow]OK[/color]
RiddickEFBB - [color=green]owned[/color]
Doom3 - [color=red]sucked[/color]
HL2 - [color=green]owned[/color]
HL2ep2[ep1 sux} - ep 1 -OK ep 2-[color=red] sucked [/color]
FEAR - [color=green]owned [/color]
FearXP{okay} - didn't play
Quake4 - [color=red]sucked[/color]
GRAW - [color=red]sucked[/color]
GRAW2{based on the demo} - [color=red]sucked[/color]
Crysis - [color=green]owned[/color]
STALKER_SOC - [color=red]sucked [/color]
Crysis_Warhead{okay} - [color=yellow]OK [/color]
Bioshock - [color=green]owned[/color]
GOW - never played
Mass Effect{weak on FPsing} - [color=green]owned your ass [/color]
GRID - never played

Edit: sorry for doing the colors wrong.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I suppose current games are all well known, but if you do not mind a bit older games, you might try (only FPS / RPG / adventures, because that's all I play: no RTS / race / sports games):

- Anachronox. This is a console style RPG: very funny and, for a PC RPG, original. It was not too well-received by the press, but user reviews are generally much more positive. You play as a complete loser rather than your average macho and have the most absurd party (all losers too BTW) in gaming history.

- Deus Ex: the second best FPS/RPG hybrid. It was fun but I do not consider this a classic. Since most people do, I mention it here anyway. The follow-up Deus EX: Invisible War was a bit less good: http://www.videogamessuck.com/review72.html

- Grim Fandango: incredibly stylish and involving point & click adventure. This is generally considered to be the best adventure game ever. Many puzzles were much too difficult for me though.

- Iron Storm. A very hard FPS: it starts a bit lame but I liked it a lot. The guys behind this later made Bet on Soldier, which was not nearly as good.

- The Longest Journey: a fantastic and involving point & click adventure (resolution of 800 x 600 max IIRC however). Suislide posted a review: http://www.videogamessuck.com/review20.html. There is a follow-up (Dreamfall) which is not bad but not nearly as good as this one.

- Outcast. Fantastic action/adventure, limited to a resolution of 512 x 384(!), but if you can stomach that, games do not get any better than this.

- Planescape Torment. This is a classic RPG, regarded as the best RPG ever by many: it may however be hard to get nowadays and IIRC is limited to a resolution of 800 x 600.

- Serious Sam. Incredibly fun FPS, at times much too hard on normal settings though. A must play. Suislide reviewed it accurately too: http://www.videogamessuck.com/review28.html

- System Shock 2. The best FPS/RPG hybrid ever but it may be very hard to get a copy nowadays. The guys who made this later made Bioshock and labelled it as the 'spiritual successor of System Shock 2'. Although Bioshock is pretty good, it is no match for System Shock 2.

- Thief 2. The best stealth game ever IMHO (forget Thief 3 and crap like Hitman / Splinter Cell / Metal Gear Solid). Try a few levels at normal difficulty and then restart and play the complete game on Expert difficulty (only on Expert you get the as it should be: not lesser health / stronger or more opponents, but more objectives and not being allowed to kill opponents).

If you have or can get a Gamecube, I must add Paper Mario 2: a Thousand Year Door as a must play. This is, surprisingly, an RPG and a very good one indeed. I consider myself a dedicated PC gamer, but when I bought a Gamecube for the kids I tried this game myself and ended up rating it as high as Gothic 2 (my favorite RPG). Highly recommended!

Oh yes, if you hate reading lots of texts in games, forget Planescape: Torment and The Longest Journey: these have insane amounts of text to read.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

To my shame I haven't played any of those games. I'm gonna try System Shock 2 because everyone says it's great. I'm also playing Doom 2 and POP 2 (the old one, but the new one also rocked). I'm playing these on a program called DosBox, normally they won't work on the newer Windows OS.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

SS2 will seem and look very basic these days.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

mihai_alexandru73 wrote:
To my shame I haven't played any of those games. I'm gonna try System Shock 2 because everyone says it's great. I'm also playing Doom 2 and POP 2 (the old one, but the new one also rocked). I'm playing these on a program called DosBox, normally they won't work on the newer Windows OS.

SS2 (unlike SS1) is a Windows game and will therefore not run in Dosbox.

It requires some special steps to run on Win-NT systems (like XP and Vista): you can find all about that on http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

SS2 won't even work on my PC. It seems to be a pain in the ass to make it work on Windows XP. Do you guys play it on XP?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

mihai_alexandru73 wrote:
SS2 won't even work on my PC. It seems to be a pain in the ass to make it work on Windows XP. Do you guys play it on XP?

In the URL I inserted above there is a link called "How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000". occasion18.gif

You must be able to get it to run with the information you find there.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

Crap this is gonna take forever. Thanks though I will try it later. Sorry for my spam post, yours was posted on min 21 and mine at min 22 so I didn't know.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

All the games I listed are from 2004 onwards, so they'll all look good maxed on a 22-27in LCD....in fact, HL2 still looks very good maxed.

I found SS2 on emule, so I'll see if I can get it to work on my XP box, but not hopeful.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
captnPugwash_halabalobale
Banned

Pogma9 wrote:
I usually only play FPSers and the occasional racing game...but from 2004 onwards.....
so ?

Pogma9 wrote:

Far Cry
Doom3
HL2
HL2ep2[ep1 sux}
FEAR
FearXP{okay}
Quake4
STALKER_SOC
Bioshock
GOW

boring unimaginative games
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:
I found SS2 on emule, so I'll see if I can get it to work on my XP box, but not hopeful.

Don't bother, if you could not bear the graphics of Half-Life you will not bear these either (they are on the same level, SS2 may even be a bit lower).
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
Pogma9 wrote:

Don't bother, if you could not bear the graphics of Half-Life you will not bear these either (they are on the same level, SS2 may even be a bit lower).

I got to work, but then it started crashing everywhere so I've given it the ass.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
captnPugwash_halabalobale
Banned

Pogma9 wrote:
berzerker wrote:
Pogma9 wrote:

I got to work, but then it started crashing everywhere so I've given it the ass.
yeah it crashed ur brain and you took it up the ass, naturally!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

Has anyone tried Mirror's Edge?
Game recommendations
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck