· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
75 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - System Shock portable
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> System Shock portable
System Shock portable
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

This may be interesting: a slightly improved System Shock.

I have not tested it yet but it seems to run properly on windows, with higher resolutions than the original's maximum of 640x480 and does not need to be installed.

I will certainly give this a try: System Shock was a good game. However the non-standard controls and dated graphics will put many people off I guess.
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

ya kidding.
These old games are fucked by every measure, we just didn't have better games at the time to compare to.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:
These old games are fucked by every measure, we just didn't have better games at the time to compare to.

Then don't play it. Others might be more interested. Many people still play older games and for those who do, System Shock should be high on their wish list. This is an absolute classic.

I played it in 2002 or so and liked it at that time (when it was already quite old), so I will see if I still like it now.

Edit: I tried the game and it runs fine on an old office machine with win XP. The only difference I noticed is the higher resolution, so it looks sharper than before. The controls really need getting used to again though.

It is supposed to have improved sound as well, but I could not test that yet because it requires VDMSound (a DOS sound emulation software) and I do not have the admin rights on this machine required to install that.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I've dled off Steam....
HL1
HL Blue shift
Quake2 demo

System Shock2 from emule.

The verdict is that they're all crap, horrid graphics and pissweak gameplay.......you only remember them as being good, but compared to todays games, they're bare and basic crap.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:
I've dled off Steam....
HL1
HL Blue shift
Quake2 demo

The verdict is that they're all crap, horrid graphics and pissweak gameplay.......you only remember them as being good, but compared to todays games, they're bare and basic crap.

No, I recently replayed HL1 and HL Opposing Force and still thought these were great games. Quake 2 was not interesting to begin with (I tried the version that came with the limited edition of Quake 4 but got bored really quickly).

As to System Shock 2 you wrote before that you it kept crashing so I suppose you could not have played this properly. Graphics age but gameplay does not, and SS2 was never about graphics (it had dated graphics on release already). But I will replay one day to be absolutely sure you are wrong.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Some people are just easily occupied icon_cherry.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

Pogma9 wrote:
I've dled off Steam....
HL1
HL Blue shift
Quake2 demo

How old are you? 14?

HL1 was the fucking revolution in videogaming, is still the absolutely fucking basis of current FPS and won't be outdated in a long time (when there would be virtual reality I suppose). The only people I know that would speak in that way about HL1 are under 16 years old and the first game they played was luckily a heavely modified Counter Strike post 1.5 version (if not Halo 2).
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Suislide
VGS Admin
VGS Admin

God Pogma9 just proves how much of a moron he is. Congratulations. Yeah a game doesn't have good graphics, that means its bad. You are the fucking prime example of one of the console whores following the reasons why games continually simplified for idiots like you. I guess this is why your review system sucks ass as well.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Suislide wrote:
Yeah a game doesn't have good graphics, that means its bad. You are the fucking prime example of one of the console whores following the reasons why games continually simplified for idiots like you.

Well, he said he thought the gameplay was weak too, not just the graphics.

How the gameplay of HL and SS2 could be considered weak is beyond me, but I played these games years ago. Replaying them now would not be quite the same as playing them now for the first time I guess. I recently replayed HL and Opposing Force and still liked them a lot, but maybe my appreciation now somehow also reflects the fun I had with it back then (brings back good memories).

The only way to find out if this really is a factor is to find an equally good game from the same era that I have not played yet and see how I like it. I tried this with Unreal a few years ago or so, but got really bored halfway and uninstalled. Quake 2 was even more boring so I played this for only an hour or so. These are not deep games like SS2 but may be comparable to HL, so maybe pogma has a point anyway.

So anyone know a game from the late 90's that is equally good as HL / SS2? (no need to mention Outcast, Thief, Grim Fandango or Planescape: Torment; already played these).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Suislide wrote:
God Pogma9 just proves how much of a moron he is. Congratulations. Yeah a game doesn't have good graphics, that means its bad. You are the fucking prime example of one of the console whores following the reasons why games continually simplified for idiots like you. I guess this is why your review system sucks ass as well.

Ya sound jealous honey alien.gif
Remember champ, you're the one delirious about FO3 and Deadspace, and both these games suffer badly from the console disease, so don't pretend to be smarter than you are.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Kasrkin wrote:

How old are you? 14?

HL1 was the fucking revolution in videogaming, is still the absolutely fucking basis of current FPS and won't be outdated in a long time .

I'm 40 believe it or not.....and I remember HL being a good game, I bought it as soon as it came out on my $6000 PC, but I tried to play it the other day and found it dull and the graphics are just appalling even though they had an option for 1920x1200.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
captnPugwash_halabalobale
Banned

berzerker wrote:
I tried this with Unreal a few years ago or so, but got really bored halfway and uninstalled
this game will always remain on my system till i die. i can still remember the wonder and amazement i had when i played this game in 98. i will never have that excitement of unreal again in my life :( i was in total love with this game when i checked out the demo. Unreal brought on so many new things in gaming and actually changed my life.

First of all it brought a great atmosphere that was non existent in any of the fps games. it introduced music which was dynamic. its engine was a technical marvel, the software rendering mode was and is still unmatched even today!! the particle effects was the best at the time. unreal is a game designed for exploring and the music in the game makes it very immersive. the levels are designed with attention paid to details. The galaxy audio engine could change the music depending on the situation in the level. and also support 3d audio sound sources. So you had music+sound sources that dynamically change!! it also had a decent story which is narrated thru translator. personally i liked the weapons, but the skaarj where programmed too powerful. yeah so another thing is that you fire at a skaaj and it will summer salt and duck, nothing ever seen in gaming at that time. the npc's in the game where also quite memorable. plus there where also ton of graphical features like curved surfaces that you could enable from the advanced menu. The animation and camera system was something not seen in other games before. the game is fairly long compared to todays short lived games. unreal became the defacto standard for fps to come along with hl. both unreal and deus ex give you the same vibe because they use the same engine and the same musician. The game took 8 years to complete. At that time i bought a 3D Blaster Banshee from 3dfx, so that i could play it in accelerated mode with glide. i am sure many of the real gamers will remember that.

so if you found this game to be boring, then i can say one thing very confidently "YOU ARE NOT A REAL GAMER!!" and that is the one truth that will remain true forever. please immediately cease to exist from this forum along with your duplicate accounts.

you probably just one of those guys wanting to keep himself busy to avoid the headaches of parenthood. so recommending you any games would be pretty pointless. Also i have not seen you talk about any game you personally like either. you just sit here like a leech, playing some random games senselessly.

@others: the software renderer from unreal will be back in the near future ;) trust me.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

captnPugwash_halabalobale wrote:
this game will always remain on my system till i die. i can still remember the wonder and amazement i had when i played this game in 98. i will never have that excitement of unreal again in my life :( i was in total love with this game when i checked out the demo. Unreal brought on so many new things in gaming and actually changed my life.

This subscribes my (or actually Pogma's) point, doesn't it, unless we have such different tastes in games (which I doubt)?

I played Unreal years later so I missed the initial excitement. It know it must have been ground breaking (graphically) on release, but did not play it back then. A few years later the graphics had worn off (I had no wow!-effect when exiting the space ship at all; I later learned I should have had that effect) but I could bear them. It was the gameplay that I found average and boring compared to HL, for example. The game seemed to go on forever with little variation. I remember that especially the bosses annoyed me. I actually liked Unreal 2 better [*ducks*].

But maybe you can test the same from your end? I thought Outcast was the best I ever played. If you have not tried that one, do so now and report how you fare. I predict your experience with Outcast will resemble mine with Unreal. Or try System Shock portable if you missed that one (System Shock was easily as ground breaking as Unreal on release, you could look up and down, wow!). I finished SS twice BTW.

Quote:
Also i have not seen you talk about any game you personally like either.

I refer to the topic "game recommendations" (for example).

For the remainder of your post I refer you to the general banter & flaming forum.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Banned

berzerker wrote:
This subscribes my (or actually Pogma's) point, doesn't it, unless we have such different tastes in games (which I doubt)?
the point is you should stop playing games

berzerker wrote:
It was the gameplay that I found average and boring compared to HL, for example. The game seemed to go on forever with little variation.
hl too has no variations either in its game dynamics and stays the same thru out. if you like to explore then you will like unreal. and almost any intelligent human that i know of likes to explore.

berzerker wrote:
I remember that especially the bosses annoyed me.
you need skill to beat them

berzerker wrote:
I actually liked Unreal 2 better [*ducks*].
which confirms the fact that your not a gamer, just a leecher. unreal2 was the most boring games of all times.

berzerker wrote:
But maybe you can test the same from your end? I thought Outcast was the best I ever played. If you have not tried that one, do so now and report how you fare. I predict your experience with Outcast will resemble mine with Unreal. Or try System Shock portable if you missed that one (System Shock was easily as ground breaking as Unreal on release, you could look up and down, wow!).
i am talking about FPS not rpg games.

berzerker wrote:
I finished SS twice BTW.
so do you want a presidential award or something?

berzerker wrote:
I refer to the topic "game recommendations" (for example).
For the remainder of your post I refer you to the general banter & flaming forum.
likewise i will refer you here http://modernsenior.net/
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

hl too has no variations either in its game dynamics and stays the same thru out.

Again this proves Pogma's point.

Quote:

Neither Outcast nor SS are RPG's.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Banned

berzerker wrote:
hl too has no variations either in its game dynamics and stays the same thru out.

Again this proves Pogma's point.
there is nothing to prove here. its a fact.

berzerker wrote:

Neither Outcast nor SS are RPG's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcast_(game) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Apparently you did not play these classics.

SS is sometimes mistakenly labelled as an action RPG but play it and you will see that it is an FPS with maybe some adventure influences, not unlike Outcast actually (although Outcast is third person).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote
Banned

its not abt me not playing some classics. but abt how you said unreal was boring. anyways forget abt it.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Dr_Shrink
Ubertard
Ubertard

Pogma9 wrote:
I'm 40 believe it or not.....

Then you still have a lot to learn my son.
System Shock portable
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck