· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
126 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - VR expectations
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> VR expectations
VR expectations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Does anyone here (if there's anyone left beside pogma and his cronies) have any warm feelings for VR? It has been the 'next big thing' for quite a while now, but I doubt whether gaming will be its primary purpose.

I haven't tried it yet but from what I've heard it isn't suitable for long sittings (1 hour or so seems to be the cap) which might imply even further consolification / stupidification of gaming, because everything has to fit in half an hour sittings.
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I think it sux, probably vomit inducing and also needs technological maturing.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:
I think it sux, probably vomit inducing and also needs technological maturing.

You always have pretty high-end hardware, right? If so, then the additional cost would seem pretty limited. And if you can bear it without getting sick, it appears to be very impressive. I just wonder whether it is really an asset for gaming.

I suppose a racing game in particular wouldn't work because the absence of g-forces would give signals to the brain that conflict with the signals submitted by the eyes (which probably causes instant headache).
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I'm a weird person with a weird stomach, ie, I can get sick on a slow ferry, or even a slowish merry go round, so something like VR is easy for me to avoid, but beyond that, I want games to improve at all levels rather than just adopt a gimmick.

I'm due for a huge upgrade, but there's no games that demand it, and I have little faith in the future, especially with how they almost ruined FO4.

Game devs either don't understand what most gamers want, or deliberately gimp their games to ensure customer dissatisfaction leading to endless consumption, but I'm not playing by those rules.

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but it's one of the few examples{objectively speaking}, where it seems that the devs "have" understood what gamers want, though I wonder if TES series have implemented choice better wrt the combat styles.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but it's one of the few examples{objectively speaking}, where it seems that the devs "have" understood what gamers want, though I wonder if TES series have implemented choice better wrt the combat styles.
couple of weeks back finally finished it after 200+ hrs, Level 34. I then decided to get back to the roots, currently playing Witcher-1 and you get to see how this game evolved. Witcher 1 is more true to RPG style minus the flashy gfx and cutscenes. the combat sucks compared to 3 btw. but when you play 1 after 3 you get the cues how the devs really put their effort into it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

OP: its either HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift. the resolution is low and so will wait for a year or so before the tech matures. did not see anything compelling in CES 2016.

subnautica is probably a fun game to play on VR

btw how is retirement treating you? crunchy ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Oblivion combat sucked as well, so it seems like better gaming engines are delivering better combat.
I want to wait till i can fully max w3.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:
I want to wait till i can fully max w3.
maxed out here, except AA is off since playing at hi res on predator x34

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

OP: you might wanna check out ytube "Is Oculus dead?" by LinusTechTips
Kinda sums up on the current state of VR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Thanks. He subscribes what I got from the other sources I found, the Vive seems like the preferable option currently. Which is surprising given how long of a head start Oculus has had.
I liked how he focussed on controls rather than resolution and technical details: controls could potentially break immersion indeed. Vive may have a better solution but it requires more intrastructure to be set up, which seems to require some sort of dedicated space (which most people will not be willing to create for a VR experience with its relatively short sessions).
VR expectations
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck