· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
109 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - For fuck's sake, Internet
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> For fuck's sake, Internet Goto page 1, 2  Next
For fuck's sake, Internet
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

[Comment on an ARMA2 video]

"Not really...It's just going to be another COD:4, if you want realistic tactical combat games, play Brothers in Arms, America's Army, or Rainbow Six: Vegas..."

GODDAMNIT FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Just watched the trailer, and the beginning part resembles the map portions of C&C. Man that really takes me back

The game looks OK. Haven't heard of this, is this too going to be a consolized POS?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

ARMA2 is the sequel to ARMA1 which is the sequel to OFP1, which was developed by BI instead of codemasters which OFP2 is. OFP2 looks pretty shit, but ARMA2 might be ARMA1 with the ability to actually hit anything, bringing us back to OFP1 which was the most realistic general military sim released in several years, unless you count VBS1/2 which are the military contract versions of OFP1 and ARMA respectively.

Wall of text.
Re: For fuck's sake, Internet
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

D wrote:
[Comment on an ARMA2 video]

"Not really...It's just going to be another COD:4, if you want realistic tactical combat games, play Brothers in Arms, America's Army, or Rainbow Six: Vegas..."

Rainbow Six Vegas????? The one from 2007?

A "realistic tactical combat game" with regenerating health and cover system from Gears of War????
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

Yar, Hence my reply
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

But who do you blame? The internet, as the subject suggests, seems too wide. The console crowd? N00bs? Stupid and shortsighted people more in general?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

I suppose the Internet for making accesible these stupid opinions, which In Real Life would be physically punished.

But I think that's just the opinion of the majority of the current "gamers" (who entered the vg market with the XBOX 360).

Years ago, when the vg market was much smaller, developers mostly made games pointed to 18-30 and not 10-18 like in present day, because almost all players were "nerds" that played games for life, but now with a much wider audience people usually get married/girlfriend/children/workaholism and they haven't enough time to play games at a certain age.
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Kasrkin wrote:

Years ago, when the vg market was much smaller, developers mostly made games pointed to 18-30 and not 10-18 like in present day, because almost all players were "nerds" that played games for life.

Dude I never thought of it that way, but you're right.
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Kasrkin wrote:
I suppose the Internet for making accesible these stupid opinions, which In Real Life would be physically punished.

That would seem silly, because the same internet also makes this site possible (and the flames on the forums, which I hope are less common IRL).

Quote:
Years ago, when the vg market was much smaller, developers mostly made games pointed to 18-30 and not 10-18 like in present day, because almost all players were "nerds" that played games for life, but now with a much wider audience people usually get married/girlfriend/children/workaholism and they haven't enough time to play games at a certain age.

I must misunderstand you somewhere. First you say that "present day" games are aimed at 10-18 year olds, and then that the audience is so much wider now (which suggests that games are targeted at a much broader audience than the 10-18 group).

I agree with the latter BTW: games become more and more mainstream and most developers appear to think it is not profitable to target niches. IMHO this shows that the industry is not yet mature enough. Other entertainment and cultural industries have mainstream products and products targeted at niches. This is much less the case with games; they all seem to target the public at large, so they make the games easier (hence the move to consoles) and simpler, as not to overwhelm the casual gamer.
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

berzerker wrote:
I must misunderstand you somewhere. First you say that "present day" games are aimed at 10-18 year olds, and then that the audience is so much wider now (which suggests that games are targeted at a much broader audience than the 10-18 group).

I was saying "numerically" wider (not only nerds), which in present day means a prevalence of 10-18 (there are much more 16 years old CoD players than people over 25 years still playing games often.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Kasrkin wrote:
there are much more 16 years old CoD players than people over 25 years still playing games often.

Do you know any research evidencing this or is this a guess / based on your own observations / other source?

Older people often do have less time but more money to spend, making them less inclined to resort to play illegally downloaded games. In addition there is quite a lot more people in the age group 25-60 than in the age group 10-18, so this might compensate for the drop-outs.

Two results google came up with: 1 (UK) and 2 (USA).
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:

Older people often do have less time but more money to spend, making them less inclined to resort to play illegally downloaded games.

That's not necesserilly true. I have to evidence to support this claim, but I think parents are more inclined to spend their disposable income on their kid's games than I am to spend on my own games.

Also kids don't drink Grey Goose vodka, so they can apportion more of their stipend towards gaming.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

puk wrote:
I think parents are more inclined to spend their disposable income on their kid's games than I am to spend on my own games.

In the 10-18 age group I doubt parents will buy games for their kids, I think they will require them to buy games themselves. Gifts for birthdays etc are the obvious exceptions.

Quote:
Also kids don't drink Grey Goose vodka, so they can apportion more of their stipend towards gaming.

It may come as a shock to you, but there are more things people can spend their cash on than vodka and games. tongue3.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:

In the 10-18 age group I doubt parents will buy games for their kids, I think they will require them to buy games themselves. Gifts for birthdays etc are the obvious exceptions.

What parent would force their 10 year old child to buy his or her own game?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Most parents would. You give them some money each week to let them decide what to buy, in order to learn the concepts of money (particularly the fact that you can spend money only once, a concept still incomprehensible to most women), saving, setting priorities, etc.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

berzerker wrote:
Kasrkin wrote:
there are much more 16 years old CoD players than people over 25 years still playing games often.

Do you know any research evidencing this or is this a guess / based on your own observations / other source?

It's my experience from 14 years of almost full time (other than forums and IRL fights) videogaming.

These surveys are biased because kids don't pay attention to other than playing with their fucking XBOX or PS, it's the more mature people who in fact take part in these kind of things.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
the fact that you can spend money only once, a concept still incomprehensible to most women

LOL

Well I grew up in an Iranian family, and, as with most of my friends, the parents provide for everything the kid needs (food, shelter, clothing) as well as for things which will make the kid happy (movie entrance, money for the arcade,money for games...)

a lot of my white friends had to work/steal to get what I got for free.

The Iranian (old fashioned) way is good b/c it makes childhood so much better, but, like you said, kids don't learn the value of money.

It also helps keep the family together b/c the father and mother play such an important role in the kid's life.

I think a lot of the things in Canadian culture are the best in the world, but one thing I dissaprove of is the beliefe that once the kid turns 16, he should go out and find a job. It's too soon.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

puk wrote:
the parents provide for everything the kid needs (food, shelter, clothing) as well as for things which will make the kid happy (movie entrance, money for the arcade,money for games...)

a lot of my white friends had to work/steal to get what I got for free.

I bet children from poor families in Iran need to steal and work too...
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Kasrkin wrote:

I was talking more wrt to the customs and cultures of Iranians. It's based more around the whole father being a good provider/bread winner.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Suislide
VGS Admin
VGS Admin

puk wrote:
Kasrkin wrote:

I was talking more wrt to the customs and cultures of Iranians. It's based more around the whole father being a good provider/bread winner.

and a wife beater
For fuck's sake, Internet
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck