· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
97 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - Finally building a new computer
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> General Banter/Flaming -> Finally building a new computer Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Finally building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I remember posting about this a while back, but I can't find it, so here we go again

I want to build a PC but I don't want to spend too much b/c I will mostly be playing older games (FEAR, FEAR 2, Crysis) and most of the new games are such poorly ported pieces of shit (ie. GTA) that they are impossible to max out.

I was thinking a motherboard with S/PDIF out and at least 4 RAID 1+0 inputs.

what would you recommend for CPU and Graphics card.

And on a related note, what ever happened to those physics engine cards, did they finally die off?
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Also is it necessary to install windows 7? I would be more than happy to install windows XP. And has anyone successfully installed Windows 95? It would be handy to have around in order to run the older games, but I wonder if there would be issues with drivers
Re: Finally building a new computer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ape_Shall_Never_Kill_Ape
Ubertard
Ubertard

puk wrote:
I remember posting about this a while back, but I can't find it, so here we go again

I want to build a PC but I don't want to spend too much b/c I will mostly be playing older games (FEAR, FEAR 2, Crysis) and most of the new games are such poorly ported pieces of shit (ie. GTA) that they are impossible to max out.

I was thinking a motherboard with S/PDIF out and at least 4 RAID 1+0 inputs.

what would you recommend for CPU and Graphics card.

And on a related note, what ever happened to those physics engine cards, did they finally die off?

I've been out of the loop on PC hardware but I think I can help. I think if you plan on playing the older games like you listed, you could probably go with a Q6600 since they're pretty cheap nowadays compared to getting an i5/i7.

As for motherboard, you should go with a P5Q since it'll go nicely with the quad core.

GPU-wise, you can go with a GTX 460 (they're going for around $150-$200 right now) as long as you OC your CPU to around 3.6 (shouldn't be a problem with that motherboard).

As for the physics cards, they're dead. nVidia acquired Ageia, so now all nVidia cards have a PhysX chip integrated in them.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ape_Shall_Never_Kill_Ape
Ubertard
Ubertard

puk wrote:
Also is it necessary to install windows 7? I would be more than happy to install windows XP. And has anyone successfully installed Windows 95? It would be handy to have around in order to run the older games, but I wonder if there would be issues with drivers

You can go with Windows 7 with no problems (for the most part). I've been installing games from 1999 that run perfectly fine. However, games from 1996 like Quake 1 (which is basically a DOS game) have to run on either a modified engine or in DOSBox. Other games like Diablo 1 run in Windows 7 but have color issues (fixable though).
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

For the sake of benchmarking....my dual core e8400+4850 runs Crysis at

1920x1200 High, zero aa+16x af in CCC= approx 30fps, which is plenty for Crysis as it "motion blurs" it's way out of tight spots, however, I think some awesome and potentially epic GPU's are 6850/70 and the new 570 from Nvidia.

I think 570 will go close to 1920x1200 enthusiast 4-8xaa+16xaf on Crysis.

Definately get a quadcore CPU though, as some games prefer cores over mhz.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Thanx guys, this has been very helpful
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Pogma9 wrote:

Like which games? All I can recall is GTA4.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
Pogma9 wrote:

Like which games? All I can recall is GTA4.

BF2, Arma2, plus I think even F1 2010 might.
I think it's a mistake to buy a dualcore unless u plan to upgrade to quad in future.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

forget the ancient Q's and the Duos....just get yourself the i5,i7 cpus...its a no brainier...only a fool would get the dated cpus. The older ones generate lots of heat and consume more power as such. most games are multithreaded so multicore is obviously gonna help...not just games, all your background windows servies and antivirus etc, esp if your running the lastest crap os from microsoft(vista,7)..the newer cpus also come with better hardware virtualization support

as for the mobo i prefer those from gigabyte or DFI lanparty series. These come with Raid support, spdif+optical (most of them do anyways). Very stable. The gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 i have been using for more than a year and its is on for more than 14 hours a day and everything still works fine. Its not an expensive mobo and its comes with a lot of features, but i doubt you get it now, must be superseded with another one.

Get a respectable avg+ psu like Tagan. The wattage depends on your gfx card(say 800w baseline on gtx285). The gfx depends on the resolution ur gonna play, directx support...i am sure you knew all that

as for hdd get a ssd for boot and a regular one for your apps. If your running vista or win7, they automatically manage your ssd drives and you dont have to run maintenance onit every 3-4 months.

anyway i am surprised your asking this question here, i would have thought a thesis writing individual as yourself would have figured it out on your own! icon_geek.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
forget the ancient Q's and the Duos....just get yourself the i5,i7 cpus...its a no brainier...only a fool would get the dated cpus

Only a fool would ignore CPUs from other vendors, what's wrong with AMD CPUs? They have not had the fastest CPU on the market any more since the release of the core duo's, but they generally still provide the best value for money.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Intel Core i5 760 Processor LGA1156 2.80GHz 8MB Cache CPU free Intel T-Shirt
Internet Price: $210.00AUD

I like this nub....my brother has the 750 model and that's been fine, only thing u might need a proper fan/heatsink.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Dick_In_Your_Ass
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I can vouch for an AMD Phenom, either an X4 965/955/ (at worst) 940.IMO it doesn't make sense to pay the premium,for an i7/x6 unless you're running multiple monster gfx cards(gtx 4/580 or multiple 5970's)and run some heavy multi threaded applications or are a benchmarker/overcocker.
4-6gb of ram will be great.I don't currently see the need,to wait for the new 8 cores next year if all you going to do is game on your system.Maybe when the new consoles are released (around 2013) you can upgrade to the 12/14 cores available to finally max out ARMA 2 and Metro 2033 @ 60 fps,lol.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:

Get a respectable avg+ psu like Tagan. The wattage depends on your gfx card(say 800w baseline on gtx285). :

He could also get something like this

Corsair HX-650 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan
Internet Price: $139.00

I doubt he's going to go higher than a 6870, so it should be fine.
This is my PS btw, over 2yrs old and still rockin.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
_Master_ wrote:
forget the ancient Q's and the Duos....just get yourself the i5,i7 cpus...its a no brainier...only a fool would get the dated cpus

Only a fool would ignore CPUs from other vendors, what's wrong with AMD CPUs?
i dont recollect saying there was something wrong with AMD cpus. look before you leap dr blind

berzerker wrote:
They have not had the fastest CPU on the market any more since the release of the core duo's, but they generally still provide the best value for money.
"best value for money" = cheap shit. personally when i buy a new pc i make sure to get avg+ components so that they last long enough to run next gen apps. ofcourse it boils down to your budget

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Dick_In_Your_Ass wrote:
IMO it doesn't make sense to pay the premium,for an i7/x6 unless you're running multiple monster gfx cards(gtx 4/580 or multiple 5970's)
you dont need a i7 to run a monster gfx card, it has nothing to do with i7s.

Dick_In_Your_Ass wrote:
and run some heavy multi threaded applications
this is the only area where having a good multicore helps. take a look around everything is heavily multithreaded from games to OS. And its only going to be that way till quantum computers are mainstream

Dick_In_Your_Ass wrote:
or are a benchmarker/overcocker.
only a fool would spend money just to benchmark/overclk system...these days you can overclock using a decent rig and most of the record breaking stuff is done by vendors who get reference samples and don't actually pay for it...personally overclocking is over hyped

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:
_Master_ wrote:

i dont recollect saying there was something wrong with AMD cpus. look before you leap dr blind

1. If I am "dr blind" how am I supposed to look?
2. I didn't say that you said that there is something wrong with AMD CPUs.
3. you're doing it in your next sentence anyway.

_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:
They have not had the fastest CPU on the market any more since the release of the core duo's, but they generally still provide the best value for money.
"best value for money" = cheap shit.

'value for money equals cheap shit', right. Now you're calling AMD CPU's shit (cheap shit even), make up your mind old man!
_Master_ wrote:
personally when i buy a new pc i make sure to get avg+ components so that they last long enough to run next gen apps. ofcourse it boils down to your budget

It's not just budget, just common sense. Never buy top range stuff, unless you need the extras it offers over mid-range stuff right now. Don't pay more for anything you may need later, because once you need it you can buy it much cheaper. So the best way to go would usually be buying mid-range stuff and doing so again once it reaches its limitations. The mid-range PC you buy then will be much more powerful than the high end PC you could have bought when you decided to buy the first mid-range system.

Upgrading is usually pretty pointless too BTW, once you want to do that in 2 years time there will be different (incompatible) types of memory, different HD-connections, different sockets, almost anything will be different actually.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:
_Master_ wrote:

1. If I am "dr blind" how am I supposed to look?
2. I didn't say that you said that there is something wrong with AMD CPUs.
3. you're doing it in your next sentence anyway.

1. look like yourself glasses9.gif
2. you began with "what's wrong with AMD CPUs?"
3. no, i was just saying generally not abt amds

berzerker wrote:

_Master_ wrote:
"best value for money" = cheap shit.

'value for money equals cheap shit', right. Now you're calling AMD CPU's shit (cheap shit even), make up your mind old man!
relax..if u can get the best get the best or get the cheap shit.

berzerker wrote:

_Master_ wrote:
personally when i buy a new pc i make sure to get avg+ components so that they last long enough to run next gen apps. ofcourse it boils down to your budget

It's not just budget, just common sense. Never buy top range stuff, unless you need the extras it offers over mid-range stuff right now.
i never said top range Dr Blind only avg+, ie mid-range+. mid range stuff is for dumb gamers, so u will have to excuse me if i have sophisticated computing needs

berzerker wrote:
Don't pay more for anything you may need later, because once you need it you can buy it much cheaper.
yeah right, but what if i want to use it now Dr glasses9.gif ?

berzerker wrote:
So the best way to go would usually be buying mid-range stuff and doing so again once it reaches its limitations. The mid-range PC you buy then will be much more powerful than the high end PC you could have bought when you decided to buy the first mid-range system.
true, but you end up spending more totally. instead get as close to the best you can and spend a lot cause it will stay with you for a long time and you dont have to spend each time a minor revolutionary improvement comes along

berzerker wrote:
Upgrading is usually pretty pointless too..
i wasn't talking abt upgrades...anyways every 2-3years i would get a new system and keep the old one as a bkup. more than 2 just dispose off

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I'm working in what you could call a "creeping barrage" maneuver..maneuvre...approach.

I retire my old computers and turn them into servers, then take other people's newer ones and use them as my main.

My old ass 2.5GHz P4 Compaq I turned into an Ubuntu server with rTorrent running and an smb hard drive, so all I do is drop torrents in the downloads/ folder from any computer in the house, and then the Compaq automatically downloads the torrent, and moves it to the appropriate destination folder based on which user requested it.

I connected my old laptop to my TV with mplayer running as slave so I can ssh into it with my smart phone, and issue commands to a pipe-file and I can watch the movies saved onto my Compaq computer that way.

I did the same with another desktop, internet radio and my central ceiling mounted speakers.

I currently got my brother's 3.0GHz computer, and I ordered two 1.5TB hard drives, going to install them as RAID 0, also went and bought a second hand ATI X1600 video card for $30, upgraded to 4 GB DDR3 RAM. Currently using that for my pre 2007 games. When I build my new computer, I'm going to start using this one as my central server, and retire the Compaq for something else.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Does anyone where I can find a computer I can run as a linux server but is not very big? I basically want something like the Apple TV, I don't mind it being a little bigger, I just don't want a loud bulky desktop, nor do I want to spend all that money on an expensive laptop.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Also, I finally gave in and made the transition from CRT to LCD. I am selling (throwing away) my two 22" CRT monitors and instead replacing them with two 28" LCDs
Finally building a new computer
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> General Banter/Flaming