· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
59 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - My review of STALKER Clear Sky.
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> My review of STALKER Clear Sky. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I guess it could be anything from a defective motherboard, power supply, CPU or even video card or monitor.

First thing to do would seem to check if the system gets power in the first place. Do any lights go on on the PC or do the hard disk or fans spin when powering up the PC? If not, it is most likely a defective power supply.

Next you must rule out a defective monitor: connect it to another PC and see if it works there.

If it is neither the power supply nor the monitor, then remove all non-essential hardware from your PC (additional memory, network cards, sound card, possibly even the video card if the motherboard has onboard video) and disconnect all peripherals: see if the PC boots then. If it does, put all removed stuff back in one at a time, rebooting after each item so that you can isolate the cause of the problem. If, on the other hand, the PC does not boot, then it is most likely a CPU or motherboard problem.

Then you need to check if the CPU fan spins when the PC boots. If it does not, the cooler may be broken and the CPU might shut itself down immediately in order to prevent being burnt.

Last edited by berzerker on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
generalPugwash
Tard
Tard

The fan is working, the green light is active on the tower. The keyboard isn't working though, if I press caps lock no light comes up in the right corner.

I've had this problem on numerous ocasions, but it went away under random circumstances. But now it's serious, before this it restarted very often randomly. There was a constant restart, when I loaded up a game of Stalker and went to an area it restarded automatically without any warning every time I did so.

Then I connected a mobile phone to the PC to power up the battery, and with the phone plugged in the PC would start for 2 seconds and then shut down, just like that. With the phone plugged out it remained 'active' but without showing anything on screen. BTW the phone remained plugged in to the PC for 1 night and it failed to load up the battery!! Maybe a clue?

Edit: Sorry for posting again under this account. I'm at a laptop and the keyboard is killing me, can't be bothered to enter the code at the log in. icon_joker.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

I guess you have the same problems with another keyboard?

It sounds like a power or motherboard problem. Swap the PSU and see if the problem persists. A PSU is easier to replace than a motherboard, so I would start there.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

Thanks for the help berzerker... I'm not too good at the hardware part so I'll just send it to the repair man... this will last some time, but at least I managed to fix the craplord laptop I'm using now. It had 58 viruses and the internet worked only when it wanted to. Avast antivirus + Zone alarm pwns. icon_cheers.gif

Also get Tuneup Utilities which will clean your PC of junk and make it faster. It's a great great program. bom.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

mihai_alexandru73 wrote:
It had 58 viruses

It seems you have bigger problems than defective hardware: incorrect PC use. Most importantly: do not by default use an account with administrator rights. But it would also help not to use Outlook or IE and not to download illegal software.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
mihai_alexandru73
Banned

I think I use admin rights, but anyway this laptop is not mine, it's my sister's. icon_geek.gif

My own PC is clean icon_king.gif just that the hardware got broke. icon_pale.gif

Edit: BTW, on my own PC I use Google Chrome and despite downloading torrents by the hundreds icon_profileleft.gif I've never had any virus problem in some time. icon_farao.gif I always check out the comments of the torrents before downloading. icon_profileright.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Pogma9
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

So I'm nearly back to where I was before I patched Stalker CS to 1.5.08.
I put in a 4hr stint tonight compared to maybe 45min with BIA HH before the zero aa induced nausea kicks in.

I think this game will take me well over 20hrs, and I'm trying to avoid all the little side quests.
My review of STALKER Clear Sky.
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck