· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
150 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - I fucking hate "Gamer Culture"
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> I fucking hate "Gamer Culture"
I fucking hate "Gamer Culture"
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 am Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

Back in the time before widespread intarweb gaming, there was a brief time between when mankind's ancestors were still drying their flippers and when robot-stalin terrorised the middle east that being a 'gamer' was something genuinely 'special', in a non-downs sense.

Basically, the obscurity and 'hardcore-ness' of the community meant that gamers ended up a pretty close group. Anyways, as an offshoot of this, it meant that any site you visited related to gaming had a decent chance of actually being worth fucking reading.

For example, SomethingAwful.com was started as a gaming-humor related website. Back during its' conception (when it consisted more of Lowtax ranting about Quake 2 and CrankySteve reviews rather than Zack going off on his bizarre liberal rants), it was genuinely entertaining. The same could be said of OldManMurray, SeanBaby and LamerKatz. Gaming culture was obscure, but this made it actually interesting.

But now, in the post 9/11 world where toenail clippers are classified as more deadly than AIDS and Gaming has become mainsteam, Gaming Culture has become so full of stupid that I've started to mistake it for Suislide.

So instead of having sarcastic, funny or ironic articles written on obscure bits of gaming humor, you have a bunch of retards whom consider Medal of Honor as the epitome of game design, and are more concerned about ragdoll physics or soft shadows or some other gay shit than the actual game. And, of course, 'gaming journalists' whom find the Gravity Gun endlessly entertaining despite the way it has a grand total of two applications, find the "cover button" in R6V and GoW to be more innovative than anything else in history, and have never actually played DooM or Duke Nukem 3D before.

And with these idiots, comes the new gaming culture. The idiot gaming culture. Instead of SomethingAwful or SeanBaby, you're now more likely be exposed to the softcore, wanky bullcrap of Destructoid or G4TV. If you're genuinely unlucky you will be exposed to the internet version of the firing squad (that is, GameFaqs. Maybe death by anal rape would be a more accurate comparison).

So the result of gaming becoming mainstream is opening the idiot floodgate and killing the industry's originality, wit and quality in the face as a result.

Stop the internet, I want to get off.
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

Sony has been the major criminal in making vgs mainstream with PS1 and PS2, stealing vgs from PC (yeah, before Bill Gates massive stealings) and giving only consoles all mediatic attention (even mass media). Looking at his sucessful, M$ joined the pirate ship too and now we are considerably fucked.

PC worst problem is we haven't any lobby behind, and if we would have one, M$ (lol), they joined the stupid PC-ripped consoles market too. With 2 lobbys (Sony and M$) directly focused on PC-style vgs to be released on his stupid crap we are fucking lost.

If they did it with Gears of War (a PC vg) and sucessfully pushed xbox360 sells, it's more than likely it will happen again. Just think about a Doom 4 "PS3 and 360 exclusive" for 1 year...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ButtJeebs
Tard
Tard

I agree, I dislike it, along with all of this 1337 L33t or whatever the fuck it is culture. It needs to stop. I don't care if you can type your damn senior exit project in leet or that you can actually mispell 'the' so many times as 'teh' that I actually now edit my writings so this is severly reduced.

Although, some communities do stay true. Never really any of the BF2 or Counterstrike or Medal of Honor ones. I'm talking smaller ones. Mainly sim communities-gaming wise. There is excellent work being done there. They actually help people (like Falcon 4.0 for example) and make stuff for the community-tutorials and such- and use the internet like it should be used. Which is not for making me feel like I live in San Francisco because it seems so liberal (all of those conspiracy sites, you wouldn't believe how many geocity sites are like that).
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

Yeah, sim-communities are generally the last bastion of the unfucktarded. For example, the Operation: Flashpoint modding/editing community I hang out with sometimes is made up mostly of oldschoolers and 'hard core' gamers.

Naturally, though, for every one of these you'll encounter a veritable tardforest like Gamespot, IGN or Destructoid. Yes, "UltimateGokuSephiroth", your comment "fnal fnatsy sven is teh bset gaem evar nad if yuo dnot undrstnd teh idaes ni it u r stupid bcuz it is maed by teh jpanaese" has been added, click here to end your life.

Which reminds me - the mainstreamisation of games has made the gaming community in general a lot more moronic. The worst example being one that I had the pain to witness first person: An FPS game replay with running commentary by a pair of fat nublets.

If you're lucky enough not to have experienced something like this, it goes a little like so:

HUFF HUFF PANT PANT
(Player being spectated is visibly heading for the Quad damage)
HES GOING FOR THE MEGAHEALTH! OH MY GOD!
(Player switches to the shotgun)
LOOKS LIKE HES GOING TO DO A BIT OF SNIPING, OH MY GOD
HUFF PANT WEEZE

(Player gets a kill)
HOLY SHIT FUCKING WOW HE GOT A KILL!!! OH MY GODDING FUCK THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING IN HISTORY! FUCK!

Worst of all? The replay was of two nubbish players whom spent 20 minutes poking at each other with machineguns before fleeing to get their health and armor back to 200 the moment their life dropped below 150.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Kasrkin
Troll
Troll

Quote:
(Player switches to the shotgun)
LOOKS LIKE HES GOING TO DO A BIT OF SNIPING, OH MY GOD

Even better than that:

A fucking 12 years old kid wrote:
OMG I asked my brother for the Doom 2 and IT SUCKS

(He asked for it because of Doom 3)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
D
Troll
Troll

Hence another part of the problem - the "softcore" community of game-players have different (and dumber) standards than the hardcore community. This doesn't apply to just consolers but to the mainstream playerbase of most games in general.

For example, any concept that involves exceptional difficulty or requires lots of thinking is likely to be unpopular with these kind of people. Turn-based strategy games, like JA2, would probably drive the average softcore nublet to suicide in minutes. Likewise, games that require extremely good reflexes, weapon choice, ammo rationing and health management (DooM, for example), are hated by said softcore nubs.

The best examples of this can be seen in modern 'multiplatform' games - especially Ghost Record AW, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Halo 2. With Halo 2, the developer actually even went as far to lower the list of useful weapons even lower than in Halo 1 and remove the only 'permanant' damage the player can receive in a fight (Health points) entirely. With Vegas and AW, you no longer die in one shot from a weapon and, particularily with Vegas, you can regenerate your life to full in seconds.

And yet, these features are lauded as 'genius' by the idiot majority whom are opposed games requiring the user to genuinely spend some time to learn how to play.

The 'regenerating life' aspect of games has to be the most idiotic of the 'pro-softcore' features added to games, especially when this is put into 'realistic' games. I don't know about what everyone else thinks, but I think that health packs are a GOOD design decision. Why? Because they force you to ration your gameplay and to take the most effective solution to a problem in order to survive.

But when you can simply return to full life in seconds after every fight, the games' difficulty and the skill requirement drop rapidly. This feature makes it possible, for example, to finish most of CoD2 just by using melee attacks. So, lets' imagine this scenario for a moment...

(Player 1 is hit by a mortar and loses most of his lower body, but retains consciousness)
Player1: FUCK! MEDIC!!!!
Player2: stfu noob
(Player 1 waits for a moment. His legs grow back, just like in real life WW2 combat.)
Player1: Zomg, I'm liek a lizard! A sexy lizard!

This is, I suppose, the product of games becoming mainstream - every aspect of the heart and soul of gaming is sacrificed for popularity and accessibility.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
ButtJeebs
Tard
Tard

LOL (I didn't want to use that) good stuff.
I get you about the softcore community messing things up. CoD2 should be lodged down everyone's throats so no one will be that stupid again.

Quote:
Yeah, sim-communities are generally the last bastion of the unfucktarded. For example, the Operation: Flashpoint modding/editing community I hang out with sometimes is made up mostly of oldschoolers and 'hard core' gamers.

Armed Assualt (that review here had me tearing out of my ass I was 'cracking' (hehe) up so bad) was a step kind of in the softcore way. (I think they are going to severly reduce skill to fly the choppers because the whiners say it's too hard).
Also, I really hate those lame arcade airplane games. Like you have the sights zeroed perfect, and the bullets aren't susceptible to gravity, and you end up shooting down 50 Jap planes on Pearl Harbor. Lame. Then, once these noobs try out IL-2 Sturmovik- for example- they whine and complain because they actually stall and the bullets aren't guided missiles.
I fucking hate "Gamer Culture"
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck