· Surveys
· Top 10
· Your Account
Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
211 guest(s) and
0 member(s)

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
VideoGamesSuck.com :: View topic - Open Outcast
Login Register Forum FAQ Memberlist Search

VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck -> Open Outcast Goto page 1, 2  Next
Open Outcast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

My all time favorite game is still Outcast. Now some guys are trying to make an Outcast Crysis mod. I could look at the first minutes of the video only at this stage, and visually it really reminds me of Outcast. More information here.
View users profile Send private message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:31 am Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Never played outcast, what's it like
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

let me guess...something gothick with knight-elves-wolfs-fairies-bats-minions

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
let me guess...something gothick with knight-elves-wolfs-fairies-bats-minions

Not at all, it's an action adventure, no melee weapons, just guns. Might appeal to you given your recent interest in adventure games, but it's graphically very outdated nowadays. And the controls were a bit awkward already back then mind you. No doubt this will be fixed in the mod.

More info about the game here. Apparently Outcast was adventure GOTY for gamespot in 1999 (I guess they were a decent site back then, anyway they were absolutely right about this one). The Just Adventure review here. It got quite a lot of good reviews and seems to have become an true classic, like System Shock 2 (Outcast is even better though IMHO).

Apparently there is no review on VGS, maybe if I can remember enough about it and can come up with something decent I might just submit one.

Last edited by berzerker on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
craterface
Poopypants
Poopypants

outcast was and still is an amazing game. when i first red about it before it came out it totally thrilled me. in 2000, just few years after the dawn of 3d acceleration, a game came out which refuses to go with the trend and absolutely uses no 3dfx or direct3d at all. they went by a new idea (sadly at the cost of resolution) but it worked quite well.
it was like a mix of stargate and avatar. but the best thing was that the whole game was like some movie really. with astounding sound and music (also the dialoques were awesome, totally believable) great action and a vast world to explore.. and it was non-linear and the ai was great not just when it came to battle. that they reacted to everyting you do, they even stopped the conversation with you if something happened like soldiers showed up from somewhere. the npc's even had their own language that you can recognize so no random "ugadjagalukupa" here.
they planned a sequel but it was never finished which is one of the biggest loss in gaming history.
the only bad thing about the game was the running animation of our hero.. it was like he carried tons of shit in his pants.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

craterface wrote:
outcast was and still is an amazing game. when i first red about it before it came out it totally thrilled me. in 2000, just few years after the dawn of 3d acceleration, a game came out which refuses to go with the trend and absolutely uses no 3dfx or direct3d at all. they went by a new idea (sadly at the cost of resolution)
What do you mean, a 512 x 384 maximum, that was just awesome! icon_cheers.gif

I replayed it not too long ago on a 19" LCD, obviously I didn't play full screen.

Quote:
it was like a mix of stargate and avatar. but the best thing was that the whole game was like some movie really. with astounding sound and music (also the dialoques were awesome, totally believable) great action and a vast world to explore.. and it was non-linear and the ai was great not just when it came to battle. that they reacted to everyting you do, they even stopped the conversation with you if something happened like soldiers showed up from somewhere. the npc's even had their own language that you can recognize so no random "ugadjagalukupa" here.
they planned a sequel but it was never finished which is one of the biggest loss in gaming history.

Agree with everything you say here, I've never been sucked into a game world as in this one, not even the Gothic games could top that. This was described nicely in the Just Adventure review I linked to earlier in this topic (site seems to be down now, so I picked the quote from the Google cache):
JA wrote:
that it's now over a week since I've finished it and I find myself wondering how all of my Talan friends are doing

I had exactly the same feeling.

I liked the way people helped you find the person you were looking for. In stead of "he is west of here" or whatever is usually said in games, they said "I last saw him there" and pointed in that direction. This is very real life-like and greatly improved immersion. I also liked the saving system, the only other game I remember that had the saving system integrated into the gameplay in a similar way was Anachronox.

Quote:
the only bad thing about the game was the running animation of our hero.. it was like he carried tons of shit in his pants.

Well, I didn't care about that one bit. I found the controls pretty annoying sometimes (you couldn't navigate menu's with the mouse, for example). And in Talanzaar (the big city) it was often hard to find someone because if you wanted to ask someone where you could find him, you had a limited choice of names to pick from, and the one you wanted was often not there. There were a few annoying puzzles too (the jumping puzzle in Motazaar and the puzzle with the organ / pipes in Okaar), but overall it was by far the best game I ever played.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

sounds interesting...where can i get this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
sounds interesting...where can i get this?

I often saw it in the shops voor 2 - 5 euro (the 'Best of Infogrames'-rerelease, which installed much better on XP than the original). If I look on Ebay now it seems to be outrageously expensive there (maybe there has been no US rerelease?) so you might buy it outside the US. Do not buy in Germany or France or you might get a localized version.

I see a copy of the rerelease here but it's much too expensive.

If you cannot find a copy I think I could get you a copy quite easily.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:

no am 100% sure i wont be able to find it in india. what arrangement do you have in mind Dr?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:

no am 100% sure i wont be able to find it in india. what arrangement do you have in mind Dr?

I can buy a copy and send it by post. What does Dr stand for in this context anyway?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
craterface
Poopypants
Poopypants

I bought mine when I was in Canada for 30 CAD. That was back in 2001. The box is huuuge.. the biggest box I've seen for a game. It has a VELCRO seal..
And the music was really epic and fitting. The Moscow Symphonic Orchestra was responsible if memory is right.
I remember that you could swim a lot to the back of the place in that swampy area and find a funny giant red graffiti-kinda stuff. And also you noticed that there is a musican in the city who's playing a tune from Star Wars sometimes.. And the worlds only talan with a female voice? That freaked me out.. and our hero too.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

craterface wrote:
I bought mine when I was in Canada for 30 CAD. That was back in 2001. The box is huuuge.. the biggest box I've seen for a game.

Guitar Hero III had a much bigger box. tongue3.gif Of the games without additional hardware the biggest box I remember is the Warcraft III Battlechest edition. Man that was heavy too.

Quote:
And the music was really epic and fitting. The Moscow Symphonic Orchestra was responsible if memory is right.

I think music has no place in games but this was an exception indeed.

Quote:
I remember that you could swim a lot to the back of the place in that swampy area and find a funny giant red graffiti-kinda stuff.

How could you swim there without being devoured by these deadly fish (Sankaar)?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
I can buy a copy and send it by post.
your kind gesture is appreciated and noted. But i guess its just a matter of 3 more months, so i guess i can wait.

berzerker wrote:
What does Dr stand for in this context anyway?
did you loose your title due to malpractice recently?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
_Master_
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

berzerker wrote:
i strongly disagree. unreal, deus ex, red alert, dead space, judge dread(sega genesis), age of empires....so many to name. but adding music to game is not small feat, which many musicians dont realize. and to top it the biggest problem is the director or the project leader. and often it is their musical taste that creeps into the game. they should just let the musicians do their job instead of their tasteless and clueless knowledge of music.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
craterface
Poopypants
Poopypants

_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:
i strongly disagree. unreal, deus ex, red alert, dead space, judge dread(sega genesis), age of empires....so many to name. but adding music to game is not small feat, which many musicians dont realize. and to top it the biggest problem is the director or the project leader. and often it is their musical taste that creeps into the game. they should just let the musicians do their job instead of their tasteless and clueless knowledge of music.

Agreed. Racing games need music too. Adventure games like Grim Fandango would be okay without music too but with it, it's just perfect.

_Master_ wrote:
How could you swim there without being devoured by these deadly fish (Sankaar)?

Okay it was in Okasankaar. Not in the ricefields. Try it.

Also if you really liked this game I recommend you to try
Omikron - The Nomad Soul.
That game is almost like Outcast (it only came out a few months later I think) but it is more of a sci-fi. Lotsa dirt here but less nature, more urbanisation. Actually it's like what you saw in Blade Runner.. But with a bit more weirdness ("Drink Quanta Cola it floooods your brain with bubbles of happiness! ...And hey, how about a biomechanical penis implant?").
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

craterface wrote:
Also if you really liked this game I recommend you to try Omikron - The Nomad Soul.
That game is almost like Outcast (it only came out a few months later I think) but it is more of a sci-fi. Lotsa dirt here but less nature, more urbanisation. Actually it's like what you saw in Blade Runner.. But with a bit more weirdness ("Drink Quanta Cola it floooods your brain with bubbles of happiness! ...And hey, how about a biomechanical penis implant?").

I played Nomad Soul shortly after Outcast, but gave up halfway, when it turned more and more occult. I didn't like the grim atmosphere of the game and some puzzles seemed contrived. And the shootouts were absolutely hideous.

Based on this walkthrough I remember doing the research in the library and gave up shortly thereafter, so I managed to do 2/3 of the game or something like that.

Another of those games that should appeal to me but didn't is Arx Fatalis. I tried it 2 times, one time I got quite far but I just didn't like it, particularly the fights were a nuisance.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
craterface
Poopypants
Poopypants

yea i admit that while occultism in gaming is not a bad thing (mostly), this time it would have been better with less of the chanting-stuff. i was okay with the small portion i've been introduced on the first hours of the game. sci-fi with some vauge mysticism here and there to spice it up.
the world was dark and grim yes, that was totally to my liking (especially the first district you venture) but then it turned to a brighter side, less cords and concrete for more water and plants.. bad move. but overall the game was good still. yes the fps parts were grose but the unarmed fighting was quite alright.
there should be more games featureing big cyberpunk-like cities like the the one in this game.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
puk
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

Ya I liked Omikron, but I only played the demo. I really miss the games from the 90's, they just had cooler stories for some reason. Neverhood was like this.

I also liked the dark environments like in Deus Ex and G-Police, and the music in Deus Ex or C&C 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
i guess its just a matter of 3 more months, so i guess i can wait.

Just read that it is now for sale on GOG.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
berzerker
A Winner is me!
A Winner is me!

_Master_ wrote:
berzerker wrote:
I can buy a copy and send it by post.
your kind gesture is appreciated and noted. But i guess its just a matter of 3 more months, so i guess i can wait.

If you still do not have it, I just bought a copy for a mere 1 euro and the offer still stands, no charge. You're always so kind to everyone here, it seems apt to return the favour.
Open Outcast
  VideoGamesSuck.com Forum Index -> Video Games Suck